Thursday, May 16, 2013

Magazine Must- Haves

     I love to read, but it seems like I have trouble getting through regular books when school is in session. I hate wading halfway through a great book, and then having to put off reading it because of assignments and general busy-ness. Then, when I actually pick the book back up, it can be hard to remember the last few things I read. I guess that's why I tend to gravitate towards magazines when I have a lot going on. Here's a quick list of my favorites:

1) Mary Janes Farm
    Crafts, recipes, beautiful and fun pictures, and pertinent information- this magazine has it all. The layout is very dynamic and good at leading your eye around, and the aesthetics are just fabulous. Even though it is written from an organic- living point of view, it's not abrasive. It is informative about new studies conducted about food safety and the ongoing battle for more transparent food labeling. However, the thing I love most about this magazine is how empowering it is for women. It really supports women pursuing their passions and dreams, and there are frequent spotlights on people (men and women) who are making a difference. Mary Janes Farm is really a pleasure to read. 

2) Better Homes and Gardens, and BH&G "Do It Yourself" special interest publications

     I do not own a house. I currently rent an apartment, and as a short- term renter I'm fairly limited on how I can customize my home. For this reason, I live vicariously through these magazines! When I was younger I didn't really understand their appeal, but now that I'm at an age where I'm excited about having a home all my own, and these magazines give me endless inspiration. Some of the ideas are do-able in an apartment, which is cool, but for the most part I just gather ideas  about what I'd like to have in a house I owned. Some of the ideas are so clever! Plus, the photography is spot- on, making BH&G chock full of eye- candy. 

3) Country Living

     I like Country Living for many of the same reasons I like BH&G, but it has a more- down-home vibe. I also showcases a lot of decorating ideas using repurposing and vintage items. I also love their articles on actual homes. Some of the ideas and techniques people use are so clever and creative, it make me think "we didn't I ever think of that!?" Again, the photos are stunning, so they eye- candy factor is high on this one, as well. 


     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment