Sunday, May 19, 2013

Holla Holla, I'm Savin' Dollas... and it's Cute!

     I have a confession to make- I spend way too much time on Pinterest drooling over all of the cool crafts and DIY ideas. Granted, I'm pretty sure most women also have a Pinterest addiction, which makes me feel just a tad less guilty. A while back I discovered a home made recipe for chalkboard paint and kept seeing THE COOLEST projects using it (like these.) 
     My piggy bank (which is coincidentally a hippo) is quite small and doesn't really hold all that much change, so I've been yearning for a new bank. Thanks to my pickle-eating-champ of a husband, we go through jars at a fairly consistent rate, so I had been toying around with the idea of decorating a pickle jar as a bank. After some musing, the idea of painting a pickle jar with chalkboard struck me, and bam! Awesomeness was created. 



    This is my finished product. To create my paint I added 1 tablespoon of unsanded grout to 1/2 cup of acrylic paint and mixed thoroughly. I waited a day before using chalk on my freshly painted jar, but before writing anything, I made sure to scribble all over it with chalk and wipe it off. This helps prevents shadows after erasing. For my coin slot, I hammered a nail through the metal lid several times in a row, tucking the metal edges under with a flathead screwdriver. 
     Overall, I'm pretty pleased with my new coin bank! I like being able to write a specific goal on it, or being able to decorate it when I feel the urge. My only problem is that it takes a bit more work that I'd like to wipe of the chalk, but I'm going to blame that on the texture of my brushstrokes, and even more so on the uneven surface of the jar. 
     After my success with painting this bank, I'm eager to branch out and do a few more chalkboard paint projects. I recently acquired a small chest/ cabinet that I'm plotting over, so hopefully I'll be able to share how that turns out soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment